Friday, August 14, 2009

HogVan Day 2

HOGVAN - Day 2

(Also, day 1, I took the van out with my girlfriend, Lindsay, the battery crapped out because I left the lights on in a parking lot, luckily across from Sears Auto. We got a new battery and fluids, coolant was totally gone. Lindsay installed the battery like a badass. The van was revived.)

It was time to see exactly what this beast needed to keep running and pass safety and emissions to get titled/plated in VA. I also, insured the vehicle, figured that was a good idea.

First stop was Jiffy Lube for a routine oil change... Since this 94 Chevy G20 is a custom conversion van, the air filter was too far back in the engine block to remove without a large fee... I settled on just getting fresh oil.

Next stop was emissions/safety... Went to a local exxon and was subjected to August heat with no AC for a couple hours. Finally the van got inspected, took over an hour. Fingers crossed, somehow the van passed emissions on the second try but the safety came back with some minor fixes, such as burnt out side marker lights and front headlight and the front driver side door handle which was broken when I got it, needs to be replaced. After the replacements, the door handle still didn't get fixed because the threading was stripped on the inside of the handle, but the guy passed me for safety with a warning saying to pick up an extra handle at a junk yard asap! I'm still opening the door from the outside with the window down... If you have a G20 van and have an extra handle as well as center grill let me know!

Next stop, DMV. Went to the express DMV and signed over the old title, got a VA title, plates, stickers and registration. The Hogvan was a dream no more... She was proud to be legal and a Virginia resident.

1 comment:

  1. I could help you get rid of all of those extra commas. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete

HOGVAN Tailgate Menu